Saturday, November 28, 2009

WELCOME!

To those of you who trotted over to this little site from other blog, The Picky Gourmet: thanks for stopping by! To those of you who just happened upon this site: HI!

I'm going to cooking school so you don't have to!!!!

This is my place to talk about what I am learning/ have learned in culinary school. I attend a part-time professional course that meets once a week and I am in total nerd-love with this class. I get there early every week, wearing my school-supplied chef's jacket, black pants and black shoes with my hair pulled back in a bun (like a real live chef!) I sit in the front row, teetering on the metal stools designed to separate butt muscle (and let's be honest, fat) from bone. I ask lots of annoying questions, I take copious notes and I generally bug everyone with my over-eager, wanna-be teacher's pet demeanor. Sorry guys, it's just the way I am! I LOVE food! I love learning about it and touching it and cutting it and cooking it! I LOVE IT!

I cook out of a teeeeeensy kitchen


 See? And in addition to that minor restriction, I also cook TOTALLY GLUTEN FREE. Yep. I take what I learn in class and make it work for those of us who have gastro-intestinal systems that don't play by the rules. I promise, you can feed these G-free recipes to anyone and they will not complain, generally they won't even be able to tell and you don't have to mention it, if you don't want to. I won't tell.


The 20 weeks break down like so: 1. Intro/Knife Skills 2. Stocks and Roux Based Sauces 3. Sauces, Reductions, Emulsifications, Purees, Infusions 4. Dairy and Eggs 5. Soups 6. Fruits and Vegetables I, Salads and Cold Preparations 7. Fruits and Vegetables II, Cooking Techniques 8. Vegetables III, Starches, Potatoes, Dried Legumes, Grains 9. Fin Fish 10. Shellfish, Crustaceans, Mollusks, Cephalopods 11. Poultry I, Young Birds, Dry Heat Cooking 12. Poultry II, Moist Heat Cooking, Braising, Stewing 13. Meat I, Beef, Lamb, Pork, Veal 14. Meat II, Braising, Stewing 15. Yeast Breads 16. Quick Breads and Pastry Dough 17. Plated Desserts 18 - 20 TESTING (: > /)

Please keep the questions flowing, part of my goal here is to impart the lessons I learned in class and make them available to all you fellow wanna-be chefs out there. Help me, help you!

-The Picky G

1 comment:

  1. Callie, This is so totally what i needed i have been looking into cooking classes but not quite sure exactly when i would be able to go to school. I am so excited to be your first student.

    ReplyDelete